Tuesday 4 October 2011

Rules of Engagement

At the start of this crazy adventure I wrote down some guidelines for myself that I thought would maximise my chances of maintaining commitment to this challenge.  Some are based on previous experience (things that have worked for me in the past), others are based on psychological theory while others are more aspirational - things I need to practise as part of my preparation.  They aren't meant to be hard-and-fast rules, more guides to keep me heading in the right direction.  Here they are:

  1. Always finish what I start (Learn to endure and persevere).
  2. The weather is part of training and never an excuse to do nothing!
  3. Consistency is key.
  4. Build gradually and build on success.
  5. Whatever I may be thinking or feeling, the task remains the same (1 more stroke, pedal turn or step).
  6. Keep a sense of adventure.
  7. Do my training early in the day.
  8. Be realistic in the goals I set along the way.
  9. Keep my eyes on the prize, yet focus on the present.
  10. Review progress, be objective and specific in the conclusions I draw.
  11. Be internally focused - this is my challenge.  (It doesn't matter what other people are doing or saying).
  12. This is a whole-life event.
  13. Have multiple reasons for doing this.
  14. It's in the decisions I make moment to moment in everything I do.

I guess some of these may require further explanation, which I will cover in future blogs.  So far they seem to be working for me, although Number 7 is proving problematical at the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment